David Weir to open 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon Running Show ahead of his 20th consecutive London MarathonDavid Weir – the most decorated athlete in London Marathon history - will open the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon Running Show tomorrow (Wednesday) as he gets set to compete in the race for a 20th consecutive time.
Weir, who has won the elite men’s wheelchair race on a record eight occasions, will cut the ribbon to officially open the Virgin MoneyLondon Marathon Running Show at the ExCeL Centre, East London, at 11:00 tomorrow.
Every runner participating in this year’s event must visit the Virgin Money London Marathon Running Show to pick up their race pack and visitors can browse the huge range of stands, listen to guest speakers and enjoy fun activations such as the giant Tumbleator and test their running speed against the pace set by the world’s best marathon runners.
Tennis superstar Amelie Mauresmo will be the official starter for the World Para Athletics Marathon Championships and elite women races at this year’s event.
Mauresmo, who is taking part in the Virgin Money London Marathon for the first time this year, is a former world number one and the winner of both Wimbledon (2006) and the Australian Open (2006). She was also the coach to Great Britain’s Andy Murray for two years.Murray will be the official starter for the elite men and mass race at this year’s event.
Other major stories from the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon include:
- #ThanksaBillion: The London Marathon itself will make history this year when fundraising from the event surpasses a staggering £1billion since the first race back in 1981. This landmark is celebrated by the #ThanksaBillion campaign.
- Elite races: The elite men’s race will see a mouth-watering clash between world record holder and three-time London Marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge (KEN) and British hero and multiple world and Olympic champion Mo Farah.
In the elite women’s race, reigning Virgin Money London Marathon champion Vivian Cheruiyot (KEN) will take on three-time champion and the second fastest woman of all time, Mary Keitany (KEN).
In the wheelchair races, David Weir is looking to win his ninth London Marathon title in his 20th race but will face stern competition from young star Daniel Romanchuk (USA) and old rival Marcel Hug (SUI). In the women’s race, course record holder Manuela Schar (SUI) will be looking to regain the London Marathon title from last year’s winner Madison De Rozario (AUS).
- •The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust 18 mile marker: Three young architects Ayanna Blair-Ford, Shreeya Radia, Quincy Hayneswon an award set up by the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust and London Marathon Events Ltd to design the Mile 18 marker for the2019 Virgin Money London Marathon. The winning concept ‘Because of Stephen we can’ celebrates the life and legacy of StephenLawrence.
- Dementia Revolution and Barbara’s Revolutionaries: Eight EastEnders actors – running for their friend and former cast memberDame Barbara Windsor – lead the list of famous faces preparing to run the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 28 April.
Emma Barton, Jamie Borthwick, Natalie Cassidy, Tanya Franks, Kellie Shirley, Jane Slaughter, Jake Wood and Adam Woodyatt will joinBarbara Windsor’s husband Scott Mitchell and form ‘Barbara’s Revolutionaries’, running to raise money for Dementia Revolution – the official Charity of the Year of the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon.
- Sustainability: London Marathon Events is committed to becoming a world leader in delivering sustainable mass participation sports events and is trialling a wide range of innovative initiatives at this year’s race.
The 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon takes place on Sunday 28 April. For rolling news from the week, see our website www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com or follow us on Facebook @LondonMarathon, Twitter @LondonMarathon and Instagram @LondonMarathon