Guinness World Records
Guinness World Records is partnering with the Virgin Money London Marathon for the 13th successive year, giving participants in the world's greatest marathon the chance to become official record title holders.
Following a thorough year-long review by Guinness World Records to ensure records are fair and up-to-date, some changes have been made to the marathon record categories. These include the merging of similar records, the discontinuing of others and the creation of some exciting new categories. To find out more about the review visit the Guinness World Records website.
Attempting a Guinness World Records title will not only enhance your personal Virgin Money London Marathon 2020 experience, but can also help raise awareness and money for your chosen charity. Who knows, you might make history! Read about last year's record breakers to get inspired.
Please note that in order to apply for a record, you must have secured a place in the 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 26 April. Places are not available via Guinness World Records.
An adjudicator will be at the finish line to tell you whether you have successfully achieved the record you are attempting - something which is usually a paid-for service but, for this day only, the verification is done for free.
At the 2019 event there were 40 new Guinness World Records titles achieved from 79 attempts, ranging from the Fastest marathon dressed in a tent to the Fastest marathon with two runners handcuffed together!
You can help make the 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon the best yet by attempting to break a world record on the day.
If you wish to attempt a record, please make a free application. If you require further information on setting a record, read more about how to set or break a record.
The deadline for applications is 17:00 on Friday 7 February 2020.
As part of the submission process, all applicants must provide a full description of their planned record attempt which will be reviewed by the London Marathon Events Ltd Operations Department to ensure it is appropriate for the Virgin Money London Marathon.
Please make a standard application via guinnessworldrecords.com and include the following:
- A record title and a full description of the Guinness World Records attempt
- Dimensions of the costume or object that is to be worn or carried (including height, width, depth and weight)
- Applicant's unique running number allocated via ballot place confirmation, through a charity or other guaranteed entry console
- Projected finish time in any costume you hope to run in
- Once you have applied, the allocated record manager will request that a photograph which clearly shows the runner wearing/carrying the full costume and/or object is submitted via the online portal
- Should your application be successful, you will be required to complete a biography form by Friday 6 March 2020.
- Please note that you may be asked to take part in The Vitality Big Half 2020 in London on Sunday 1 March for a practical demonstration of your record attempt in race conditions. Please also note applications will be rejected for any runner that is asked to run The Vitality Big Half and does not do so.
London Marathon Events Ltd reserves the right to deny entry if the costume is deemed to contravene health and safety regulations.
Please be advised that if your record attempt is approved for on the day ratification, you will be moved to the Green Start by London Marathon Events Ltd.
The names of all people taking part in any Guinness World Records multiple person costume attempts must be submitted to Guinness World Records for a move to the Green Start by the closing date of Friday 7 February 2020.