Baker's dozen to take on the Virgin Money London Marathon
Thirteen stars of the ‘Great British Bake Off’ (GBBO) will swap their aprons and cake tins for running kit as they prepare to take on the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 22 April, raising money for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity (GOSH), Macmillan Cancer Support and World Vision.
The Baker’s Dozen features some of the top bakers from the first seven series including 2013 winner Frances Quinn, 2014’s fashion designer-turned-foodblogger Chetna Makan and 2016’s Selasi Gbormittah and Jane Beedle.
The team of cake aficionados, aged 21 to 63 and with a varying level of fitness and running experience, will be encouraging each other through the coming months of training with both motivational camaraderie and, of course, baked goodies. The friendly competition between the Baker’s Dozen is not only about who will be first to cross the famous Finish Line on The Mall in April, but also who can produce the best marathon-inspired treats. Keep a close eye on their Instagram accounts for some post-training indulgence and inspiration.
The full Baker’s Dozen is:
- Selasi Gbormittah (Series 7, age 31, hometown London - @selasigb)
- Jane Beedle (Series 7, age 63, Beckenham - @janebbakes)
- Tom Gilliford (Series 7, age 27, London - @tom_gilliford)
- Michael Georgiou (Series 7, age 21, London - @michaelgeo96)
- Ian Cumming (Series 6, age 44, Cambridgeshire - @iancpix)
- Mat Riley (Series 6, age 40, Tunbridge Wells - @thelifeofriley)
- Alvin Magallanes (Series 6, age 40, Bracknell -@alvinmagallanes)
- Richard Burr (Series 5, age 41, London - @richardpburr)
- Chetna Makan (Series 5, age 40, Broadstairs - @chetnamakan)
- Kate Henry (Series 5, age 45, Brighton - @treaclebakes)
- Enwezor Nzegwu (Series 5, age 42, Portsmouth)
- Frances Quinn (Series 4, age 36, Leicestershire - @frances_quinn)
- Beca Lyne-Pirkis (Series 4, age 36, Cardiff - @becalynepirkis)
There will be media opportunities with the Great British Bake Off stars in the coming months.