Please find below information for runners participating in the Virgin Money London Marathon.
Click the button below for searchable 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon results.
- 08:55 – Elite Wheelchair Races
- 09:00 – World Para Athletics Marathon World Cup ambulant races
- 09:15 – The Elite Women's Race
- 10:00 – The Elite Men's Race, British Athletics & England Athletics Marathon Championships and Mass Race
A link to a PDF of the Final Instructions for the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon will be emailed to all runners by early April. This PDF magazine contains all the information runners need to have an enjoyable Race Day.
The Final Instructions – for both UK runners and overseas runners – are also available to download below.
All runners need to attend the Virgin Money London Marathon Expo prior to Race Day to register.
A map of the Virgin Money London Marathon course is available to download below.
Drinks Stations are situated as follows:
Buxton Natural Mineral Water
- Every mile after mile 3 through to 25, apart from miles 7 and 11, where Lucozade Sport is available. Water is supplied in 250ml race bottles with a flip-top
- Available at miles 7, 11, 15, 19 and 23
Lucozade Sport Carbo Gel stations can be found on The Highway at miles 14 and 21.5.
Three Drinks Stations will be trialling compostable cups instead of bottles this year. Water stations at miles 10 and 19 and Lucozade Sport at mile 23 will offer drinks in compostable cups. Try drinking from a cup in training before Race Day.
We work to recycle as many bottles as we can and you can help. Bottles are easier to recycle if they are empty so remember to #DrinkDrainDrop – squeeze out any remaining liquid and drop your empty bottle to the side of the road. Local authority cleansing teams will collect the discarded bottles, which will then be sent for recycling.
Getting to the start
A map of the start and the three coloured Start Zones is available to download below.
You can find all the information you need to travel to the start on Race Day in your Final Instructions, and you can read more about how the Start process will work below.
You can get to your designated start area via the following transport options:
The easiest way to get to the three start areas (Blue Start, Red Start and Green Start) is to travel by train.
- Blue Start or Good For Age runners should travel to Blackheath station
- Red Start runners should travel to either Greenwich station or Maze Hill station
- Green Start runners should travel to Maze Hill station
Travel on all of the above trains is free to competitors. You must present your running number to a member of staff at the station in order to take advantage of this offer.
MBNA Thames Clippers
MBNA Thames Clippers River Bus services run from key central London piers. Book your tickets in advance at www.thamesclippers.com.
We DO NOT advise competitors to travel by car, but if there is no other alternative you should remember the following:
- Roads in the area will close at 07:00, with local diversions in operation in the Greenwich, Charlton and Deptford areas
- There is limited parking available in Blackheath
- If you intend to leave your car at the start, you will need to retrieve it after the event once you have reached the finish in The Mall. There is NO parking in the vicinity of the finish.
The coach pass application system is now closed. Please note it is mandatory that your coach driver has a pass and displays it clearly on the vehicle's dashboard/windscreen. Coach routes to the start are available in the final instructions.
Kitbags and baggage lorries
The PA systems at each start area will tell you when to put your kitbag onto the appropriate baggage vehicle in the start area.
You should hand your bag in at the lorry with the number range which corresponds to your running number. Staff on the lorries will only accept official Virgin Money London Marathon kitbags, so please ensure you have stuck your self-adhesive running number label to the kitbag where indicated.
You will then be able to retrieve your kitbag from the baggage lorries after you finish. Once you have deposited your kitbag on the lorry, you will not be able to retrieve your belongings until you arrive at the finish.
Registering for the Virgin Money London Marathon
Ahead of Race Day, all Virgin Money London Marathon runners must register at the Virgin Money London Marathon Expo to collect their running number, timing tag and kitbag.
If you do not register at the Expo you cannot race.
The registration form
You have been sent a registration email with your Virgin Money London Marathon Final Instructions – please check your junk or spam folders. If you haven’t received your registration email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and date of birth.
You must print this email and bring it with you to the Virgin Money London Marathon Expo along with your photo identification (for example, your passport or driving licence) in order to collect your runner number, timing tag and kitbag (see below for more info).
What to do if you can’t attend the Expo
We encourage everyone to register in person for the Virgin Money London Marathon however we know this isn’t always possible. If you cannot register in person you must send someone to register for you. Here’s what you need to do:
- Nominate someone to attend the Expo and collect your runner number for you.
- Your nominee needs to provide a letter written and signed by you, giving permission for them to collect your number. They also need to bring a copy of your identification (for example, your passport or driving license).
- Sign the declaration on your registration form. When your nominee gives the form to the Registration Clerk, they check your details.
- Your nominee also needs to bring some identification (for example, their passport or driving licence).
- Please note, an individual can only pick up one running number in addition to their own.
There are special desks at the Expo for overseas runners to register – these are clearly marked.
Runner's World Pace Team
Whatever your target time may be, the Runner's World Pace Team will be on hand to help you achieve your goal. Find your pace setter for the Virgin Money London Marathon at runnersworld.co.uk/pacing/pace-team
A map of the finish area is available to download below.
After you have collected your belongings, you should move away from the baggage lorry area as quickly as possible. Please leave the secure area via the designated exit point only.
There is a runner meet and greet area where you will be able to meet your friends and family at one of the meeting points on The Mall and in Horse Guards Roads and Horse Guards Parade. These meeting points will be marked with letters of the alphabet, so you can arrange to meet at your family initial or another pre-arranged letter.
Overseas runners have their own dedicated meet and greet area in The Mall, close to Admiralty Arch.
If you secured a place in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon but were unable to take part on the day, find out what to do to run in 2019.