Final Instructions Magazine Mailing
The following relates to the 2015 race. Information regarding 2016 will appear in due course. The 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon Final Instructions magazines were mailed out to all runners (apart from overseas runners who will be emailed a PDF of the Final Instructions) from Tuesday 24 March. This magazine contained all the information you needed to have a trouble-free Race Day on Sunday 26 April. The Final Instructions – for both UK runners and overseas runners – are also available below to download.
All UK runners should have received their 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon Final Instructions magazines by Wednesday 8 April.
All overseas runners should have received a PDF of the Final Instructions on Wednesday 25 March.
What happened next?
Ahead of Race Day, ALL 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon RUNNERS needed to register at the Virgin Money London Marathon Expo to collect their running number, timing tag and kitbag. Your Final Instructions magazine will have explained this in full but see below for more details. You can find out more about the Expo here (including opening hours, who's exhibiting and how to get to the venue: ExCeL in east London).
Registering for the Virgin Money London Marathon
Part 1 - The registration form
You will have received your registration form in the post at the end of March with your 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon Final Instructions mgazine (overseas runners were sent their registration forms by email).
You needed to bring your registration form with you to the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon Expo along with your identification (see details in Part 2) in order to collect your runner number, timing tag and kitbag (see below for more info).
Part 2 - The 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon Expo
The 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon Expo was held from Wednesday 22 April to Saturday 25 April at ExCeL in east London. All runners needed to attend on one of these days to register..
What to do if you can’t attend the Expo
Although we encourage everyone to register for the Virgin Money London Marathon in person we know this isn’t always possible. Here’s what to do if you can’t attend the event:
- Nominate someone to attend the Expo and collect your runner number for you.
- Your nominee will need a letter written and signed by you, giving permission for them to collect your number. They’ll also need to bring a copy of your identification.
- Sign the declaration on your registration form. When your nominee gives the form to the Registration Clerk, they’ll check your details.
- Your nominee will also need to bring some identification (for example, their passport or driving license).
There are special desks at the Expo for overseas runners to register – these will be clearly marked.
Preparing for Race Day
Your Runner Number, Timing Tag and Kitbag
Runners received their runner number, timing tag and kitbag when they registered (see above) for the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon.
Every mile of the Virgin Money London Marathon is marked with a huge arch across the road – you won’t be able to miss them!
There is a large clock at each mile marker showing the time that has elapsed since the start of the race. If you’re planning to complete the race in a set time, these clocks will help you monitor your progress.
At the Finish Line
Here’s what will happen when you cross the Finish Line of the Virgin Money London Marathon.
When you cross the Finish Line:
- Your official race time will be recorded.
- You’ll be given your medal for successfully completing the Virgin Money London Marathon, and a goody bag containing a finisher’s T-shirt, foil blanket, food and drink.
- Our medical team and members of the St John Ambulance will be near the finish to offer medical help if you need it.
- You should then make your way to the baggage trucks to collect your kitbag. You’ll need to show your runner number to collect your bag.
- Please don’t wait around at the finish area – thousands of runners will need to pass through as smoothly as possible. If it’s raining you’ll be able to shelter and get changed at the Waterloo Place underground car park, which will be clearly signposted.
Meeting up with friends and relatives
There will be special areas to meet up with friends and family at Horse Guards Road and Horse Guards Parade. These areas will be clearly signposted and divided up alphabetically so your group can arrange to meet at the first letter of your surname.
Overseas runners and their relatives will be directed to a separate meeting area in The Mall.
It’s best not to rely on your mobile phone to meet up with others on race day. There will be thousands of people using their phones in the area, so mobile networks will be busy and you may not get a signal.
It’s also a good idea to have a contact friend or family member at home so you can call them and pass on messages. Although there are regular loud speaker announcements on Race Day, these aren’t used to communicate with lost friends and family.
Official London Marathon Photographs
On the day of the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon, there were more than 125 official photographers from MarathonFoto situated around the course.
The photographers were at 20 different points around the course to get shots of the crowd and individual runners. They also took photos of runners crossing the Finish Line, capturing the big moment for them to keep. After the Finish Line you can take your FINISHER photo and MEDAL shot, just look out for the bright yellow vests – and remember to smile!
View your photos online
Between 24 and 48 hours after the Virgin Money London Marathon, you'll be able to view and buy these photos online at marathonfoto.com. If you left your email address at registration or at the Expo, MarathonFoto will notify you with an email when the images are ready to be viewed.