Guinness World Records
Guinness World Records (GWR), the global authority on record-breaking achievement, will be celebrating its 10th year as an official partner of the Virgin Money London Marathon in 2017, making this already extraordinary event even more memorable by providing record-breaking hopefuls with on-the-day record verification.
Please note that you must have secured a guaranteed place in the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon if you wish to attempt a Guinness World Record. Guaranteed entries are not available from Guinness World Records.
Not only is an official Guinness World Records attempt a great way of enhancing your Virgin Money London Marathon experience, it is also a fantastic means of raising awareness and money for your chosen charity. GWR’s verifications services are usually a paid-for-service but, for this day only, the verification is done free of charge for runners.
Last year, 31 runners secured a Guinness World Records title at the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon, while ESA Astronaut Tim Peake achieved a brand new Guinness World Records title for the Fastest marathon in orbit (male), running the Digital Virgin Money London Marathon on-board the International Space Station in 3:35.21.
For more information on how you can set a new Guinness World Records title, or break an existing record, at the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon, please visit the Guinness World Records website for more information and to submit a free application.
The deadline for applications is Friday 10 February 2017 at 17:00.
Please make a standard application via the website's ‘Set a Record’ section and include the following information:
- A record title and a full description of the Guinness World Records attempt
- Dimensions of the costume or object that is to be worn or carried (including height, width, depth and weight)
- Applicant’s unique running number allocated via ballot place confirmation, through a charity or other guaranteed entry console
- Projected finish time in any costume you hope to run in
- Once you have applied, the allocated record manager will request that a photograph that clearly shows the runner wearing/carrying the full costume and/or object is submitted via the online portal
- Should your application be successful, you will be required to complete a biography form by Friday 3 March 2017
- If the record you wish to run for doesn’t exist on our website, please email with your proposed title and image of the costume for our Category Manager to review. (Please note this email account is for new category enquiries only and any other correspondence will not be responded to.)
As part of the submission process a full description of each applicant's planned record attempt will be sent to the London Marathon Operations Department by GWR.
The attempt will then be assessed to ensure it is appropriate for the Virgin Money London Marathon.
Please note that you may be asked to take part in the 2017 adidas Silverstone Half Marathon on Sunday 12 March 2017 for a practical demonstration of your record attempt in race conditions. Please also note applications will be rejected for any runner that is asked to run Silverstone and does not do so.
London Marathon Events Limited reserves the right to deny entry into the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon if the costume is deemed to contravene health and safety regulations. All applicants approved for on-the-day ratification will be moved to the Green Start by London Marathon Events Limited.
Check out an amazing list of over 30 new Guinness World Records set at the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon.over 30 new Guinness World Records