Guinness World Records
Guinness World Records is partnering with the Virgin Money London Marathon for the 11th year running, giving participants in the world’s greatest marathon the chance to become official record title holders.
An adjudicator will be at the Finish Line to tell you whether you have successfully achieved the record you are attempting – something which is usually a paid-for service but, for this day only, the verification is done for free. Please note that in order to apply for a record, you must have secured a place in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon on 22 April. Places are not available via Guinness World Records.
At the 2017 event there were 40 new Guinness World Records titles achieved with attempts by 73 runners, ranging from the Fastest marathon in a two-person costume – a Jamaican bobsled to the Fastest marathon dressed as a toilet roll!
An official Guinness World Records attempt is a great way of enhancing your Virgin Money London Marathon experience, as well as potentially raising awareness and money for your chosen charity. Who knows, you might make history! Read about last year's record breakers.
You can help make the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon the best yet by attempting to break a world record on the day.
If you wish to attempt a record, please make a free application.
The deadline for applications is 17:00 GMT on Friday 9 February 2018.
As part of the submission process, all applicants must provide a full description of their planned record attempt which will be reviewed by the London Marathon Events Ltd Operations Department to ensure it is appropriate for the Virgin Money London Marathon.
Please make a standard application via guinnessworldrecords.com and include the following:
- A record title and a full description of the Guinness World Records attempt
- Dimensions of the costume or object that is to be worn or carried (including height, width, depth and weight)
- Applicant’s unique running number allocated via ballot place confirmation, through a charity or other guaranteed entry console
- Projected finish time in any costume you hope to run in
- Once you have applied, the allocated record manager will request that a photograph which clearly shows the runner wearing/carrying the full costume and/or object is submitted via the online portal
- Should your application be successful, you will be required to complete a biography form by Friday 2 March 2018. If the record title you wish to run for doesn’t exist on our website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposed title and image of the costume for our category manager to review. (Please note this email account is for new categories only and any other correspondence won’t be responded to.)
Please note that you may be asked to take part in the The Big Half 2018 in London on Sunday 4 March for a practical demonstration of your record attempt in race conditions. Please also note applications will be rejected for any runner that is asked to run The Big Half and does not do so.
London Marathon Events Ltd reserves the right to deny entry if the costume is deemed to contravene health and safety regulations. All applicants approved for on-the-day ratification will be moved to the Green Start by London Marathon Events Ltd.