Run the Virgin Money London Marathon for charity
The Virgin Money London Marathon is the largest annual fundraising event on the planet – since it began in 1981 participants have raised more than £1 billion for good causes. If you’d like to join these everyday heroes and add to this amazing figure by running the Virgin Money London Marathon for charity, here’s all the information you need to get started.
Why run the Virgin Money London Marathon for charity?
There are lots of great reasons to run the Virgin Money London Marathon for charity. Knowing that you’re raising money for charity can give you a sense of purpose and an even bigger goal to work towards. Supporting a good cause can give you the boost you need to get up and train in the cold, wet winter months – particularly if it’s a charity that’s close to your heart, for example an organisation that’s helped you, or a loved one, through tough times.
How your charity will support you
Running the Virgin Money London Marathon for charity is a two-way street. In return for your fundraising efforts, charities offer lots of guidance before, during and after the event, with a complete support package – these vary from charity to charity but could include:
- Regular newsletters and charity updates
- Expert training plans and a fundraising pack
- More tailored email support from running experts
- Vest or T-shirt to wear on Marathon Day
- Participant’s goody bag
- Support from local charity representatives
- Information about online fundraising
- Forum to chat with other runners online
- Pre-event ‘carbohydrate party’ so you can build up your energy stores
- Cheer points on the marathon route where supporters will make lots of noise!
- Post-event reception, often with free massages, showers, hot food and drink
Your options for running for charity
Now we’ve established that running for charity is a great idea, you have two options depending on what sort of Virgin Money London Marathon place you have (or don’t have!):